Do you take compliments well?Without the "ums, ahs" and everything in between? If there's one thing we've noticed that many of us (ourselves included!), instead of saying "thank you" and moving on, we qualify our choices. If someone likes our outfit we tell them how much it costs. If someone thinks our curly hair looks nice, we turn it around, or talk about how difficult it is to manage in the humidity.
We do this in the name of being humble. But where do you draw the line between humility and trash-talking yourself?
In this episode:
- We practice accepting compliments graciously.
- We discuss different types of compliments, and how some are easier to accept than others.
- Amy Schumer's skit on accepting compliments. (NSFW).
- A Real Simple campaign about how young women talk about their bodies.
That's what she said:
- "If you say you like my dress, is it because you can see my boobs through it?" -Brett
- "How do you come across confident and not cocky?" -Sarah
- "If we respond negatively to a compliment about ourselves, that might be taking the pressure off." -Brett
- "Even when you say 'thank you,' that translates into 'I know.'" -Sarah
- "Speak life over yourself, girl!" -Brett