I know, those two statements don't have much to do with each other, but this week's episode will definitely bring them together. You'll understand once you listen. There are moments of clarity and wisdom about this fruit of the spirit, self-control. Then there are fits of giggles. It's a ride for sure, but we hope you tag along.
Also, another housekeeping item, something is up with the sound and we sound kind of echoey at times. We can't quite figure it out, so we are sorry about that!
In This Episode:
- It all starts with an afghan.
- We talk about the definition of self-control, when it’s particularly hard for us to exercise, when we might be good at it and what the difference is between self-control and self-discipline.
- A really famous song from the Breakfast Club completely derails us in the middle.
- We wrap it up with some advice for getting better.
- Here are some referenced articles:
That’s What She Said:
- “Do you want me to seriously answer the question?” -Brett “NoOoOo” - Sarah
- “It’s holding your tongue when you want to say something sassy to your partner, it’s taking charge of your own story, it’s not automatically blaming outside circumstances (apart from big traumatic life events that you can’t control) on the struggles that you have in your life…it’s living with a healthy sense of responsibility and focus throughout your day.” -Brett
- “I think we have to start thinking about self-control from a bottom-up approach like taking it from a more wholistic approach rather than trying to zone in on these different areas of our lives.” -Brett
- “I was literally the cookie monster.” -Sarah
- “We are all going to fall short. That’s the whole ‘we fall short of the Glory of God.’ If you believe that, then you know that you are not perfect all of the time, and so no area of your life is going to be under ‘control.’” -Brett
- “I’ve never done drugs.” -Sarah